Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Musical of Your Life


Everyone gets songs 'stuck' running through their heads.  But I've noticed something weird.  I will notice a song in my head, and realize I didn't just hear it, and may not have heard it for decades.  My subconscious just pulled it up because it 'associates' with something else going on here and now--something I'm doing, or watching, or reading....  My dang subconscious is playing DJ to my life!

Right now, I have a song called "The Rhythm of Life" in my head.  (I expect instant recognition from just about no one.)  It's from the 1968 musical Sweet Charity.  It's not one of the hits from the show--those would be "Hey Big Spender" and "If They Could See Me Now."   Nah, this was a big long production number song that featured Sammy Davis Jr. and a crowd of 'hippies' (somebody's vision of hippies, had a lot of 'beatnik' in them).  Sammy is the 'guru,' laying a mystical and very rhythmic trip out for his adoring followers.  It really was a weird attempt by writers/performers who were never even into rock to try to catch a psychedelic wave.  Of course they missed.

But my brain dredged this thing up because I'm rereading Stranger in a Strange Land (for the first time in decades.)  That has the mock-religion racket called "The Fosterites" in it, very much a guru-leading-followers-around-by-nose thing.  Further, Stranger itself became a hippie culture cult object back in the day.  So, my subconscious DJ digs up Sammy Davis Jr. playing guru.  Crazy, man.


No comments:

Post a Comment